background

>

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Perfectly Imperfect

Just so you know, not everything I do here at Four Sisters Farms turns out perfectly (or even perfectly imperfect).  Sometimes, I fail.  Farm Chick doesn't delight in my failures but recently I shared one of my attempts in my home decor venture that was pretty bad and she said she was glad things don't always work out for me...she said it makes her feel a little better about things.  I got to thinking about that...no one really likes anyone who appears perfect from every angle, right?  In our right minds, we know that no one is perfect regardless of how perfect things appear.

We have all had those thoughts about someone who looks like they have it all together...a house straight from Better Homes and Gardens, children who look like models from The Gap, husbands who stay in top physical condition and help with the children and listen to their every word...you get the picture.

I have a great life.  I am blessed. But I am far from perfect and I like it that way.  I like trying new and different things and love succeeding as much as anyone.  However, I have to say that as I've matured, I recognize that my failures teach me much.  I have learned that there is no such thing as perfect apart from God.  He is perfect and one day I will be made perfect in Him...but not in this life.

All that to say, I just had to share an "epic" fail with you.  I call it the The Great Dye Debacle.

Pop and I bought a set of sheets for our bed recently...the most expensive set of sheets we have ever bought.  It was on sale but it was still expensive.  It is quality.

and...

after only using them for a short time, I ruined them.

I washed a load of RED towels and rag rugs one day.  (You know where I am going with this already, don't you?) Then I started the next load of my cherished, expensive, nearly new white sheets.  Yep.  When I went to move them from the washer to the dryer they were a beautiful shade of pastel pink sheets.  Really?????

Well...that is only the first part of this epic fail story.  I decided I would just dye them a shade of tan.  Tan would work with the color scheme.  I could live with tan.  I did my research and purchased a popular brand of dye.  I followed the instructions as well as I could.

Since I was dying 100% cotton, the instructions said to use salt in the dying process.   So I did.  But the salt refused to dissolve.  So I even put it on the stove top and boiled it.  Still, the salt did not dissolve.  I don't know if our water had anything to do with it, but there was a grotesque scum on the top of the water...so, I did my best.

I poured the dye mixture out of the pan, trying to keep the scum and the undissolved salt in the pan and instead of counting my loss and abandoning the process, I went ahead with it.

Here is a picture of our sheets after being dyed...they are sort of tie-dyed, bohemian chic.  Don't you think?

Oh well.  Next I will try to dye them brown.  Until then, we will sleep on them.  They don't bother me at all in the dark.  Stay tuned.  

My attempt to dye white sheets (that were accidentally dyed pink) to a tan shade.  Fail. 



No comments:

Post a Comment