background

>

Monday, March 26, 2012

My Little Sister Turns Fifty

A few years ago, it was MY turn to turn 50 but this year, she gets her turn.  She is my sister - my only blood sister - the one I shared a room with growing up - the one I fussed at and about - the one I was mean to - the one who loves me unconditionally anyway.  She is kind and thoughtful, caring and careful. There is no one else I know quite like her.  We share memories that no one else does since we shared everything since the time she was born...sometimes with me being willing and sometimes not. Ha! She has always stood beside me even when I didn't deserve it.

On the day of her birthday, I called her.  My life had been busy with the Four Sisters Farm renovations and two new grandbabies, so I hadn't even sent her a card yet. 

I waited until the day's end to call - thinking she was probably out to dinner or perhaps at a fun celebration.  Instead, the day had been all too uneventful...no party (hubby was out of town for work)...no special dinner (grown son had something scheduled, grown daughter lives out of state)...she did have a special lunch date with her daughter-in-law.  The gals at work hadn't done anything either.  Bummer day.  So I began thinking...I need to come up with something really fun to commemorate her 50th.  So here goes...

  1. Easter Bonnets
  2. Big Blue Eyes
  3. Chatty Cathy
  4. Mrs. Beasley
  5. Cats - Especially black ones
  6. Chasing (and catching) a bunny
  7. Play Houses
  8. Bald Babies
  9. Pink Furniture
  10. Sharing a bedroom
  11. Kids Incorporated Football
  12. Black Labradors
  13. Swing Sets
  14. Little Girl Cheerleaders
  15. Glamour Shots
  16. Jewelry
  17. Ceramics
  18. Fasting
  19. Goodwill Store Dressing Rooms
  20. JC Penneys with our children (Meg not so happy)
  21. Shopping Carts in Parking Lots
  22. Not Enough Seatbelts for all the Kids
  23. Las Vegas
  24. The Grand Canyon
  25. Recovering from my third daughter's birth
  26. Cubby Holes
  27. Loud Bump Noises from Upstairs
  28. Saxophones
  29. Etch-A-Sketch
  30. Spirograph
  31. Aunt Mary and Red Hots after Swimming
  32. Brush Rollers
  33. PB and Js After School
  34. Nice People
  35. Grammy's Nail Polish
  36. Exploring Uncle Clif and Aunt Ginny's Attic
  37. Mud Pies
  38. Dandelion Stem Chains
  39. Kids with Broken Arms
  40. Kids with Broken Legs
  41. Ponchos
  42. Swim Towels - the wearable kind :-)
  43. pending Time with Cousins
  44. The Dime Store
  45. Tap Dance
  46. Bike Rides to the City Park and Pool
  47. Ft. Supply, Oklahoma
  48. Mean Big Sisters
  49. Sweet Little Sisters
  50. Childhood Memories shared with my only Sister


So...here's to you, little sister.  Happy 50th!  I love you.

A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garretty

No comments:

Post a Comment