background

>

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Love and Longing

"...as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings..." Matthew 23:37
As I drove into town a few days ago, my mind raced.  I had errands to run, daughters to visit, and grandchildren to play with.   Then suddenly, my thoughts pulled off the busy highway of my mind and I was overcome with the longing I often feel to be in the presence of those I love.  I thought about how I long to be in the presence of my mom and dad...I long to be present with our daughters...I long to spend time with my sister and brothers...relatives and friends...I long to share life with them...not for a big event or anything special...just an ordinary day...just a cup of coffee or tea...just a sandwich or a snack and some conversation.  But we all have lives to live, work to be done, responsibilities to fulfill.

Sometimes the intensity of that longing brings tears...sometimes sweet memories and smiles...sometimes I make myself a promise to make a phone call so I can hear the voice of one I love.

I wondered if God longs for us that way...and I believe He must.  "And I will be your Father, and you will be My sons and daughters", says the Lord Almighty (2 Corinthians 6:1).  God is the author of family.   Isaiah 66:13 says, "As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you..."  And Isaiah 49:15-16 says, "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?  Though she may forget, I will not forget you!  See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands..."

It is easy to see that, since we are created in God's image, we bear resemblance to our heavenly Father.  We have multiple roles...we are children, siblings, parents, grandparents...and His love runs in and through each of those roles...teaching us, loving and helping others through our gifts of time and service...always drawing us to Himself regardless of which role we currently play.  


I am learning to be free in love.  Free to love and be loved.  Free to allow God to orchestrate and direct my days and free to trust Him to lead.

This kind of freedom makes me want to run to God just to glimpse His face.  To see Him look at me the way my parents looked at me when I was a child...to see unconditional love...and to feel that love completely.  Then, in turn, I want my others to see that same love reflected on my countenance when they see me.

I'm grateful it is a process...and I'm grateful God is in control of it!  1 John 4:12 says, "No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and His love is perfected in us."


Love on, my loved ones...love on.

No comments:

Post a Comment