background

>

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Buyer's Remorse

Over the holiday, I went to the local variety store of my hometown with my mom, sister, and sis-in-law.  Our mission was to pick out fabric for a quilt for Mom to make my sis-in-law; but of course, we had to look at other things as well and we stumbled onto this wall hanging and thought it was cute and clever and would work perfectly in the future Four Sisters Farm kitchen...I was a bit smitten and I purchased it (along with a "God Bless Cowboys" plaque that will someday hang in the bunk room).

I decided to place it in Pop's Christmas stocking hanging at the mantle of my folk's house as sort of a silly joke.  Well...the way things worked out, Pop and I didn't get to stay long enough for the festivities of the evening as we had to make the several hour drive back home that night.  So I loaded up the contents of our stockings into a bag and we headed on home.  As we drove and I pondered the time we had just spent with family, I also pondered the sign and realized that I just couldn't do it...Pop DOES rule the roost but not in a bad way and I definitely do NOT rule the rooster at Four Sisters Farm.  It would be like advertising a lie if I hung up this cutesy little sign in our home.

Some folks would think it is just a joke...no big deal...but I believe otherwise.  Scripture says, "Like a maniac shooting flaming arrows of death is one who deceives their neighbor and says, 'I was only joking!'" (Proverbs 26:18-19).  One of the things I told the four sisters as they were growing up is that joking always has roots in what a person really believes.  I have found this to be true over and over.  Sarcasm (sometimes we call it joking) is rampant in our lives these days.  We hear it all around us...we see it on television in sitcoms and we refer to someone as "witty" when they have mastered the art of hurting someone in a way that makes others laugh.

I looked up the definition of sarcasm and it means "a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark" so I also looked up irony which means "the use of words to convey a meaning that is opposite of its literal meaning".  Hmmm...so if we say things that mean the opposite, isn't that the same as lying?  I think so.

I will pass on cute and clever and tell you what I really believe about Pop...he is THE man here at Four Sisters Farm.  He takes his responsibilities to care for me and our family very seriously.  I very happily accept my place under his leadership knowing that he has my best interest at heart.  He understands that his role as a leader brings responsibility and accountability with God and his desire is please God.  I know he isn't perfect and I know he will make mistakes (me too); even so, I choose to follow him.

Maybe I can find a cute, clever sign with a rooster that says something like, "He rules the roost, and I love the rooster!"  That would be closer to the truth.  There is plenty to laugh about at Four Sisters Farm without making fun of anyone.  It is a safe place to be.  It's one of the things I love about Four Sisters Farm.


No comments:

Post a Comment