background

>

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Songs in the Morning...Unclouded Day


Many mornings I wake up with a song running through my head...usually it is a praise/worship song of some kind.  I feel like it is God waking me up...sort of like my Mom waking us kids up by singing "Wake up, wake up, you sleepy head. Get up. Get up. Get out of bed!"...but not exactly.  ha ha  As we grew older and were harder and harder to rouse, she resorted to an 8 track player located in our formal living room at the bottom of the stairway that led up to our bedrooms.  I haven't verified it, but I think she used Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass most often because she knew at least one of us would race downstairs to stop the noise!!  

The songs I hear in my head are a much more gentle wake up!

Now I know that at the last trumpet there will be all kinds of waking up happening (1 Corinthians 15:35-58); however, I'm fairly confident it will NOT sound like Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass (here's a clip in case you're curious)!!

So a while back, I woke up with a song playing in my mind from the previous Sunday's praise time at church.  It was an old song...not one of my very favorites...but a good one nonetheless.  We attend a church where you are likely to hear all genre of music at some point.  I think there may not be an instrument that the music minister there cannot play; so there is a place for everything from the cello to the banjo,the piano to the accordion, and the bongo to the washboard! When we heard this song, Unclouded Day at church, Pop leaned over and said that his mom and aunts used to sing this one sometimes when he was a kid.  Sweet memory for him. 

Anyway, I thought I'd share the lyrics and a snippet of this oldie for you.  I hope God wakes you up with a song in the morning...it's a great way to wake up.

Unclouded Day (listen to a clip here)
Words & Music: Jo­si­ah K. Al­woodcir­ca 1880


O they tell me of a home far beyond the skies,
O they tell me of a home far away;
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise,
O they tell me of an unclouded day.
Refrain
O the land of cloudless day,
O the land of an unclouded day,
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise,
O they tell me of an unclouded day.
O they tell me of a home where my friends have gone,
O they tell me of that land far away,
Where the tree of life in eternal bloom
Sheds its fragrance through the unclouded day.
Refrain
O they tell me of a King in His beauty there,
And they tell me that mine eyes shall behold
Where He sits on the throne that is whiter than snow,
In the city that is made of gold.
Refrain
O they tell me that He smiles on His children there,
And His smile drives their sorrows all away;
And they tell me that no tears ever come again
In that lovely land of unclouded day.
Refrain

1 comment:

  1. This made me smile! I remember this song from when I was a little girl. My Grandma loved singing songs about heaven. Another one was 'How Beautiful Heaven Must Be'.

    ReplyDelete