Friday, October 21, 2011
X Does Not Necessarily Mark The Spot!
So we got out the screws Pop had purchased for this purpose and got started. We used math, we measured, we used deductive reasoning, we popped a chalk line, we used a drill. We even used the knowledge that in the room below (before it was finished) there was a neat row of nails that were intended to hit a floor joist but missed. We thought it would be a simple job that wouldn't take much time. After all, this task was on my "productive procrastination" list.
So we began. After screwing in a number of screws that seemed to help only slightly we employed the use of another tool. A long piece of copper wire. We removed screws and inserted the wire into the holes...if the wire hit wood we circled the hole...if it didn't, we marked it with an "X".
It might not have been the most scientific approach but we eventually identified the line where the screws SHOULD go. Now we have some extra holes in the sub floor now but they won't hurt anything...as far as we know, anyway.