background

>

Monday, August 24, 2009

Canning Spaghetti Sauce

Hello me beauties!

Step 1: You throw these gorgeous tomatoes into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes

Step 2: Plunge said tomatoes into a bowl of ice cold water

Step 3: Peel off the skin and cut off the stem, etc. (put that stuff in a bucket for your chickens)

Step 4: Blend baby blend

Step 5: Mix tomato puree with some sugar and spice and everything nice

Step 6: Bring to a boil, then decrease heat and simmer for 25 minutes

Step 7: Put sauce into hot mason jars, let out bubbles, then cap them

Step 8: Put mason jars into a "water bath" - (that just means a big pot of boiling water) for 40 minutes

Step 9: Take the mason jars out of the water bath and check to make sure they have a good seal

Step 10: Label them (this is very important...relish, salsa and spaghetti sauce basically look the same)




All in a days work!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to do this! What a rock star you are :)
    Someday you should let us know exactly what the "sugar and spices" are that you use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to know what the sugar and spices are!!! I have a huge box full of tomatoes and would love to do spaghetti sauce that I can do in the "water-bather" since I don't have a pressure cooker. If you would like to share, please email me at bosephis@aol.com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete