background

>

Monday, August 27, 2012

I Need a Sound Mind!

Chaos!! Craziness!! Do you ever have days when you can't seem to have a clear thought?  It is like having your brain short-circuit and it is misfiring all over the place...I recently had a day like that...I started jotting down the thoughts as they were coming.  Of course, in my mind, I don't make complete sentences because I know what I mean, right?  But for you, I even used punctuation.

I need to get groceries...what do we need?  I can't forget to turn that signed insurance form in to EJ's office.  Don't forget to pay that doctor's bill that came in the mail.  Did I shut off the water to the garden?  Check the calendar about the upcoming Walk for Life!  Call the missionary who called to see if he and his wife could meet with us to give us an update.  Maybe it would help me if made a list of all my uncompleted projects that keep popping into my head.  I can't forget to order pictures on canvas that I've already paid for through a groupon.  Record the receipts in the checking register.  Hmmm...I wonder how hard it is to write a screenplay.  We still haven't scheduled a party for all the folks who helped us with the renovation.  Oh, and we still haven't scheduled that small group reunion a friend and I talked about months ago...oh, but Pop said we need to wait until the weather is cooler...but the weather is getting cooler!  I still haven't sent a card and check to our family friend who recently graduated.  I need to remember to text Diana, call Janet, Ellen, Linda, Terry, and Debbie.  I miss them SO much!  We need to invite our friends over for dinner.  I can't forget to schedule eye, dental, and dermatology appointments.  Gotta call about that apple peeler I bought that doesn't work.

I could go on and on...trust me...but it is scary in my head sometimes!  When I feel like things are out of control, I have to stop myself and do three things:

  1. Pray for God's help.
  2. Focus on Scripture.
  3. Make an organized list in priority order.


  • Romans 12:2, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." 
  • 2 Corinthians 10:5, "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."  
  • Romans 8:6,  "The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace." 
  •  2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV),  "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."
"For God is not a God of disorder but of peace..." 1 Corinthians 14:33a 

Thank You, God for being a God of peace!   Thank You that my mind can be transformed and that I can make the choice to take my thoughts captive and bring them into order.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the timely reminder, Grammy. How did you know I needed that?? LOL

    ReplyDelete