background

>

Thursday, February 19, 2009

A shared Bed

Well we needed something to put the strawberries, raspberries, and our herbs in. So I went scrounging into the barns to find some scrap wood that would work to piecemeal something together. It ended up taking me about 3 hours to get all the nails out of the wood, design it, a put it together. Here it is after I've put all sides together, but not all in one piece. It went very quick considering I was able to use my nail gun...oh what a great invention.


So I was able to put it all together with a divider. I had a spot that was ready for the bed. Yet I still had to prepare it. I ran the tiller over the spot to loosen the soil. Then I added three loads of dirt with my 3 point bucket on my tractor. Then I had to level twhere the edges were going to be. I still needed lots of dirt, so I got about 7-8 loads of dirt with the bucket.

I then added some manure from the horsey that used to live here (the previous owners never mucked out of the barn). The spice family has a Mantis (not the bug) but a small tiller that I'd be able to use in the raised bed. Here's the bed after all of the poo has been tilled in and the bed is pretty much all done. The larger section is where we're going to put the raspberries and strawberries, the smaller one will be where we put our herbs.

Here's a wider view of the finished product. Also the other freshly tilled beds.

Oh what fun to do back-breaking work...for fun.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE THE LOOK OF FRESH TILLED SOIL!

    HUGS FROM MAINE

    http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fabulously designed. Maybe you could help us do something like that this Saturday. I will call Jessi when I find out whether or not Jackie is working...I was planning to just do annual strawberries this year since we don't have a separate bed for them. Also, we would like to do ASPARAGUS, and it takes three years to harvest. Like, the best time to plant asparagus is three years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so awesome. I am so impressed with what you are doing out there lady. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete