background

>

Friday, March 20, 2009

Gardening Part XXVIV

OK so you all saw in our last post that I spent hours hoeing up 4 30' rows for potatoes. So I talked to my mom, who plants potatoes every year and has for years. She said that a good estimate is that I could expect to get around 10+ potatoes from each hill...I have 4 30' rows and I planted the hills about 6" apart, so that's 120' of every six inches apart, that's ~2,400 potatoes!!!! WOW! Well, there's some meals that will be put on the table becuase of some hard work. I'm all about providing, if you know anything about me. I'm always trying to find more/better ways to provide for my family!

Here I'm showing you my anal retentive side of me with the tape measure at my feet I'm marking with a hoe where about to plant the cauliflower (every 2'), so in a 28' strip I have 14 plants. With the measuring tape I'm able to make sure that I don't plant them too far apart or too close together. Notice my hard working helper in the background!
My youngest got in on the fun tonight by helping me with the potatoes early on (along with his brother) and as you can see here the cauliflower. On the potatoes the boys would go dig their grubby little paws into the bag and dig out a cut potatoe and then I'd tell them where to put them. After that they both helped pushing the dirt into the valleys over the potatoes...how fun!Another view of me getting dirty planting the cauliflower.
Here's a pic of both the cauliflower on the right and the broccoli on the left.
This Saturday we're planning on more fun with the garden, so be ready for more installments of GARDENMAN!!!! Da da da da! (to the sound of a superhero soundtrack...)

No comments:

Post a Comment