background

>

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Tending to the Chickens

Last week, I loaded the our children up in the ol' SUV and headed to the farm for an afternoon visit. I hadn't been there since the chickens started laying eggs!


My memories of chickens revolve around a scary rooster experience as a kid, so I was sort of surprised that the chickens think that they are pets! They even let us pet them. Farm Chick says they are like cats...they arch their backs and stick up their tail feathers when you pet them!


I apologize for the dust flecks on my camera lens but I had to include this photo of the littlest cowboy. I think I will dub him "the chicken whisperer!" So cute!

The chickens don't quite "get it" yet when it comes to laying eggs in the nesting boxes. So you have to be careful not to step on eggs that they have randomly laid around the chicken coop!

It was a record setting egg day...there were 8 to collect in the afternoon and Farm Chick found 2 more after we left!


I was cracking up at the oldest Cowboy's "copy chicken!"


EJ had given the kids a chore to do. Their job was to get hay, bring it to the chicken coop and put it in the nesting boxes for the chickens. Hopefully more hay will encourage the chickens to nest down in it and lay eggs there instead of the floor!

So off to the pole barn they went, wagon in tow!

Lou is pretty handy with a pitch fork as long as everyone stays out of accidental "poking range!"


After the wagon was loaded up, they headed back to the chicken coop!

They filled those nesting boxes with every last bit of hay from the wagon!

The kids love spending time at the farm and I love to see them excited to help out and do things that are productive and helpful! "Good stuff" as Grammy says!

5 comments:

  1. Quick insider tip on getting the chickens to figure out where to lay...

    Go to the craft store and buy a wooden egg (of which there should be bazillions since it's approaching Easter time) and put them in the nest boxes.

    It works like a charm!

    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dina, thanks for the hint! :)

    DW, thanks for coming over with the kiddos. We had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of my farm days! Great Photos! New blog on the Hx. of the Ladybug: http://historyoftheladybug.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. and Grammy says...good stuff. I love all you chicken herders, feeders, petters, and whisperers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man I sure wish I had been able to make the work day. Most of my favorite farm hands were on the job.

    ReplyDelete