background

>

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Some St. Patty's Day Farmin'

Ok so here's the trellis that I built for the peas. Again, there's t-posts with 2x4s lashed to the top of them. Halfway nailed in nails to tie the line to. I ran the line both horizontal and vertical to create the grid.
Here's another view.
Today I got off work, just a bit early and hoed my potato rows. The veggie bible that I have read said to put them 3-4" deep, so I dug the trenches about 3' apart and 3-4" deep. This is pretty tough work. It'll be gratifying in the end though. As I grow older I have become more and more willing to do really hard work to get to the end I want. Not that I didn't do hard work or laboring work when I was younger, in fact most of my jobs that were summer jobs were hard labor jobs. Now I just really am enjoying more of this kind of work.
I also took and planted my broccoli plants! Don't they look great!??!! It's now also nice to have some things growing ABOVE the ground! Makes it look even more like a garden. I'm a little nervous about myself because I'm rather impatient and have a hard time waiting. I realize now God is probably up there thinking..."ha ha ha, EJ has this great idea to plant a garden, this is going to be really funny to watch how he deals with the waiting...I hope he grows and learns to be better." If not Him, then I know my lovely wife will be saying that!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, maybe I will take my kids to buy some cauliflower and broccoli plants today. We were looking for something to do, and I forgot about those two veggies. We have had good luck with cauliflower and broccoli in the past. You need to protect your cauliflower from the sun by trying to keep the leaves over the actual bloom. Obviously the plant itself needs sun, but the cauliflower can turn yellow in too much sun.

    As you probably know, broccoli keeps blooming. You cut the stalks off and a new one should grow. Have you planted any lettuce yet?

    The first couple of months of gardening is a waiting game, but then everything will start blooming and be ready to harvest at the same time, and you will be incredibly busy.

    We may drive by this weekend and take a look at all of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a beautiful job, EJ! Everything is so neat and organized!

    ReplyDelete